Pages

Friday 10 May 2019

Chemistry: Cobalt

If I were a metal element I’d like to be Cobalt and my symbol is Co.
My atomic number is 27 which means I have 27 protons in my nucleus and 27 electrons around my nucleus.
At room temperature (20 °C) I will be a solid

My melting point (the temperature when I turn from solid to liquid) is 1495 °C.
My boiling point (the temperature when I change from liquid to gas) is 2927 °C
I was first discovered by Swedish chemist Georg Brandit in 1735, in Sweden.
I am found in nature as a metal.
My uses to humans are:
  • Colouring things such as glass and china, blue.
  • Helping make Alnico, an alloy used in jet engines and gas turbine engines.
  • Use in magnets and stainless steel.
  • Being part of vitamin B12.

Some interesting things about me are:
  • Despite being blue, my chloride counterpart (Cobalt Chloride - CoCl2) is actually pink.
  • When put in Sodium Hydroxide, CoCl2 starts as blue and floats, before turning pink and sinking.
  • Even though I'm in a vitamin, I can be very toxic!


Koboltglans.jpg
Cobaltite
Image result for cobalt metal
Cobalt metal
Image result for cobalt
Cobalt powder



Image result for cobalt chloride
Cobalt Chloride
Image result for cobalt blue glass
A vase dyed using cobalt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.